Friday, December 16, 2011

Occupied Communique #7


December 16, 2011


Dear Unity,


Tonight is Friday the 16th of December. Tomorrow is the Day of Re-Occupation, the day we assemble once more and take back the commons. The day after is the rally, march and general assembly of Immigrants Occupy, somos el 99%! Tonight I am on duty as Medical Dispatch, tomorrow I will be at Duarte Park at 6th & Canal for Occupation 2.0, and the day after I will be running on the Immigrants Occupy march.

I have no idea of what exactly to expect Saturday, but I am ready for whatever happens. Generally, I have a good idea of the wide range of possible scenarios, good, bad and ugly. I am very excited and hopeful for Occupation 2.0, not the least of reasons being I will have a place to call home once more; a place, the same place every night, to lay my head and sleep; a place full of authentic human beings, Occupiers! I can't wait! The people united will never be defeated!

And then on Sunday I get to be a part of a very important and daring rally, march & GA -- Immigrants Occupy! We are the 99% -- all of us worldwide. My own notion is that political boundaries are also a tool of the 1%, and so there is no such thing as an Immigrant or Foreign Occupier -- an Occupier is an Occupier, yo. No matter where in the world one was born, or which imaginary boundary lines one has crossed, an Occupier is always home at any Occupation. The notion of aliens and immigrants is nonsensical. We are a worldwide race of beings. We are the 99%. Who is left to immigrate to us? The 1%. If there is such a thing as an alien or an immigrant, it is the 1%. All of us in the 99% are family, yo.

I had a relatively restful week, first recovering from a slight stomach ailment, then traveling to Maine visiting Unity College, meeting with a couple of he evicted Occupy Augusta (Maine) people, and attending a meeting of Occupy Waldo County. I was welcomed back to New York City with love from my medic buddies, and was instantly back to work as we planned trainings for the future evolutions of Street Medics and the Occupy Movement, and discussed the tactics and strategies of hunger strikes and the failing health of the OWS Hunger Strikers.

Just a short letter this time. I wanted to send you my thoughts on the important Days of Action ahead because I don't know when I will be able to get online again. Until then, take back the commons!



Best Regards,

Ed Mortimer

"Only when the last tree has died
 and the last river been poisoned
   and the last fish been caught
             will we realize
      we cannot eat money."
 
            -Cree Wisdom-

No comments: